Councillor Jeff Green was elected as Conservative Group Leader on 22nd December 2020 following the resignation of Councillor Ian Lewis from the role.
Paying tribute to Councillor Lewis Jeff said: “Ian has been an outstanding Group Leader. His leadership in using Government legislation to put an end to the failed One-Party Wirral Cabinet system and replacing it with a Council and Committee approach that requires transparency and dialogue across political parties and with all Councillors will be a lasting legacy.”
Jeff’s priorities are:
- Protecting and supporting Wirral’s residents, businesses, and job creators through the COVID 19 Pandemic
- Levelling up Wirral resident’s public health, reversing health inequalities and addressing the mental health impacts of the Pandemic.
- Protecting and supporting Council staff and Wirral residents with a fair, legal and balanced Council budget
- Protecting Wirral’s Greenbelt from development, addressing climate change by reducing the Council’s carbon emissions and footprint, supporting and improving our Wirral environment
- Ending homelessness and rough sleeping and improving the supply and quality of local housing.
Focussing on the Council’s budget Jeff said: “I would urge all residents to take part in the Council’s recently launched consultation, which gives options of how to balance next year’s budget. It’s important as many people as possible make their views known before any decisions are taken. To take part go to: https://haveyoursay.wirral.gov.uk/council-budget . The consultation closes on 22nd January and councillors will vote on the final proposals at the Council’s budget meeting in March.